Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie

The past couple of days our house has been a flutter with holiday preparations.  I love Thanksgiving and everything that comes along with it.  The turkey, the mashed potatoes, the houseful of napping bodies scattered among couches, playing cards in the evening and going back for round two.  Even though it's been busy and hectic I have loved that for the past three days my house has smelled constantly of pumpkin and sweet potatoes baking, and not from a candle, from actual pumpkins and sweet potatoes baking.  I'm thankful for pies that turn out the way they are supposed to.

My little sweet potato.
We're leaving tomorrow to make the trip back to Iowa and it's with excitement and a little sadness.  This is the first major holiday without my mom and I really honestly don't know how we will all handle it.  Some days go by and it doesn't hurt quite as much as it used to, it's not all consuming.  I'd like to think that I'm getting to the point that I can smile while I think about memories of my mom instead of crying.  I'm hoping that we can take this Thanksgiving to be truly thankful for what we faced this year. I know that sounds strange, I'm not in any way saying that I'm thankful that we lost my mom.  What I am thankful for is the family that we will be surrounded with this week.  That same family that when faced with something as horrific as cancer, stood up, locked arms and faced it head on.

These are from Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.











If this past year has taught me anything it's that I lead a very blessed life. We may have had our trials and tribulations this year but my belief in my blessings is unwavering.  Every fourth Thursday in November we are reminded to give thanks for the blessings that we have.  All too often days, weeks and months go by and it's easy to get wrapped up in life and forget to be truly thankful for what we have.  I ran across a quote on Pinterest the other day and what perfect timing.

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"


If you're like me, you would probably wake up with your babies and your husband and your family but would you wake up with everything else?  Running water? Heat in your home? Food on your table? It is so very easy to take for granted the things in our lives that make it easier to live but across the globe, across town and maybe even right next door there are people that are struggling to put food on their table and pay their gas bill to heat their homes. I hope that you take time each day, and especially this Thursday to give thanks for all that you have.

Other things I'm thankful for:

Babies that nap so I can clean up the house. (Or watch the latest episode of Top Chef)

Friday evenings with a glass of wine and new friends and fellow moms that make living eight hours from home a whole lot easier. (And make me realize the things we go through with a baby are completely normal)

A text from a friend telling me that she is thinking about me this week because she knows it's going to be a hard one.

The sound of my husband singing in the car when he thinks I'm asleep.

Sisters that make me laugh.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...