Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rocking It

Some days you rock at being a mom. Other days you find a used diaper at the bottom of the diaper bag that has been there for a week.

Yesterday I found that diaper. Dishes were piled up the sink, dinner was burning on the stove, Oliver was clung to my leg whining to be held because he had decided earlier in the day that he did not need his afternoon nap and the dog was constantly under foot, in other words the wheels were falling off.  These are the days that you just pray to God that they'll be over soon and that you don't drink a bottle of wine to recover at the end of the day.  Half a bottle, okay. Full bottle, not okay.

An almost full night of sleep helped to refresh me and this morning at 8 I gave myself a little pep talk and got out of bed and went to the gym.  Today I was blessed with one of those rockstar days.  I had a great workout and then we had a great playdate.

I am so thankful for this group of moms and kids that I have gotten to know over the last several months.  They bring sanity to a crazy week and a chance for me to sit back and watch Oliver socialize and it gives me a chance to socialize as well. We are an eclectic mix of moms and babies.  Moms from Iowa, moms from Louisiana, moms from California and moms from Indiana.  Regardless of our hometowns and backgrounds we all now call Bloomington home and are raising our babies here.  Our group keeps getting larger and new babies keep joining and today I sat back and listened to the dull roar of several conversations going on around me.  I thought back to the first playdate I went to. I was so nervous.  Would everyone like me? Would I like anyone? Would I meet any friends or would they all be dorks? Would they judge me on how I take care of my baby? Since I set foot in that first house I have felt welcome and there rarely has been a dull moment or moment where there is nothing to talk about. This group of women is amazing and regardless of our choices in childrearing we never judge and can have the fantastic feeling of never being judged.  Some of us still nurse, some of us formula feed.  Some of us feed all organic and some don't.  Some of us use cloth diapers and some of us use disposable.  Some of us work outside of the home and some of us are stay at home mommas. Some of us are content having one baby and some of us want more.  Some of us gave birth naturally and some of us said "bring on the epidural".  Regardless of our choices, we are all moms and I have to say, we are ALL rocking it! It really does take a village to raise a child and I am so, so thankful for my village.  I have a great support system.  I have a fantastic husband, amazing siblings, awesome parents and awesome in-laws, a wonderful extended family and a great group of friends near and far that complete my village. These are the people that help me move past the occasional forgotten diaper and help me to have more rockstar mom days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...